Sunday, August 21, 2016

Natural Poa Reduction

When scouting the course this weekend, I noticed this patch of poa was heading south on our first fairway.  My initial reaction was the fungus anthracnose, since we just aerified, topdressed and brushed it last Tuesday.  When I dug it up, I found a few annual bluegrass weevil pupae.  The insect feeds mainly on poa and since this patch is surrounded by bentgrass, I am not concerned.  Now that the fairway aerification is completed, tomorrow we are scheduled to start up our Trimmit growth regulator program that will stunt the poa and allow the bent to creep over it and this is a great head start seeing that the insects are doing the work for me.  I have not noticed any other areas this bad on the course, a few minor spots that most people will not notice.  The bugs are done eating right now so whatever damage you see should not get any worse.  In another week or two nobody will even see this spot and instead of spending thousands of dollars, this is a case where this is beneficial to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment